Tuesday, November 4, 2008

election '08

It’s official…Barack Obama will be the next President of the United States of America. After one of the longest campaign seasons in our history the votes have been cast and the results are all but officially tabulated. Many of you woke up this morning with an election night hangover. You either went to bed jubilant because your candidate of choice won or you went to bed absolutely convinced that the world was coming to an end because your candidate of choice lost. I would guess there were very few people who can honestly say they didn’t have a preference going into this election and some strong emotions coming out of it.

As you stir around this morning I want you to do me a favor. Walk over to one of your windows and open the blinds. Do you see what I think you are seeing? The sun still came up this morning didn’t it? That should be a powerful reminder to us, as believers, that our hope is not in the person living in the Whitehouse. Our hope is in the eternal, sovereign, living God of the universe. That is great news for us today because our God is faithful.

Politicians are notorious for making all sorts of promises in order to get elected. They promise to make our lives better because they know if they capture our hearts they will also capture our vote. However, the reality is they rarely, regardless of their party affiliation, can live up to all of those promises. This isn’t the case with our God.

Our God captured our hearts when He demonstrated His love for us on the cross. Our God promised us that it was his kindness that would lead us to repentance…and it was just as He promised. Our God hung the stars in space with His fingertips and told the oceans just how far they can come onto the shore. Frankly, that is the God that I am grateful and humbled to call my leader.

As you go throughout the day consider the following verses. These promises weren’t made on a campaign trail with the hopes of manipulating emotions for selfish gain. These promises were made by a God who is both capable and faithful to deliver….for your sake and mine.

" And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.." Philippians 4:19

"For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.." Psalm 84:11

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." James 1:5

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going." Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:1-6

Is the sun still up? Yes it is…how about we do some campaigning today for someone who can really deliver on His promises!

No comments: