Thursday, January 22, 2009

transfer of power

i was amazed on tuesday as i watched the inauguration of barak obama. regardless of which side of the aisle you find yourself everyone must agree that it was truly an historic event. inaugurating a new president always begins a new chapter in our american history a new opportunity to leverage our influence around the world. even the most volatile of obama's opposition must have paused and caught a glimpse of what was happening.

as america's first black president (and I know he is actually only half black so please don't e-mail me any corrective responses) it should help to set a new tone across the america's diverse landscape. those from the african american community will certainly know that whatever sins our forefathers may have committed against their forefathers is now in the past. the office of the presidency is no longer a post reserved for a white man. america has always been known as the melting pot of the world and tuesday went a long way to help free an entire race from past, in many cases even present, oppression. i think it was a good day for america....not so sure the next 4 years of liberal policy will be best but it was for many other reasons a great day for america.

i'm not a fan of barak obama. truth be told i would have liked to have seen mike huckabee standing on that podium but that wasn't the way the thing went down. so, what is my new responsiblity? as an american how should i try to support my president even though i disagree with him on most fronts politically? time will tell and hopefully my convictions will show me when i need to fall in line and follow his lead but one thing i know i must do....not only as an american but as a christian and that is pray for him everyday. pray that God would give him the conviction, mercy, vision, grace and moral clarity to lead our nation.

p.s. i love the speech W gave when he landed in midland on inauguration day. i will paraphrase his words below:

you may or may not agree with many or most of the decisions i made as president and that is fine. but you need to know that when i walked out of the oval office this morning i left with the same values and convictions i had 8 years ago when i walked into it for the first time as president. i never took opinion polls to help me determine what i thought was right. sometimes what I did wasn't popular. But that's OK. I always did what I thought was right. when I get home tonight and look in the mirror, I am not going to regret what I see--except maybe some gray hair.

4 comments:

Gary and Kelli said...

Randy - awesome Blog!!! I totally agree with you and your insite. I'm trying to tell my kids that it's all about respect whether you like someone or not!

Have a Blessed day!!!

Pamela Welch said...

Thanks Randy.
You put my thoughts into words. I am glad God gives you the talent to express your thoughts with words! Keep expressing!

Anonymous said...

Randy,
I feel like you wrote that just for me. Especially that one sentence (hahaha).
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Mike Lewandowski said...

You know... that speech made me proud that he was our President for the last eight years.

I felt like it was one of the few times we saw him as he really is.

The media did such a great job of making the man look like an idiot with the constant ridicule and parodies.

The truth is... he's a great man. I hope history remembers him better than the way he was often portrayed.

On the Obama side of things, I am glad that we as a country can elect a president other than a white man. It's about time. I do hate that our President is such a celebrity though.